Drug And Alcohol Addiction In Green Bay, Wisconsin
Green Bay is often first on the list of America’s drunkest cities, with 28% of adults in the city reporting alcohol abuse. 47.5% of driving deaths in Green Bay are related to alcohol. These numbers make Green Bay the “only metro area in Wisconsin outnumbering the statewide average.” As a whole, the state of Wisconsin struggles with high levels of alcohol consumption. Dubbed as the “heaviest-drinking state in the country,” Wisconsin residents report higher rates of drinking when compared to almost any other state.
While there are limited treatment facilities in the immediate area, there are many in surrounding regions that specialize in various forms of addiction and abuse rehab and recovery services.
Adolescent Alcohol Use In Green Bay
Underaged drinking is commonplace in Wisconsin, as 74.4% of 9th to 12th graders admit to drinking at least once in their lives. Underaged buyers of alcohol exceeded 15% in previous years, making Wisconsin the state with the highest number of underaged consumers of alcohol. Green Bay law enforcement issued 70 underaged drinking violations in 2017. In previous years, 181 minors were cited for the same reason.
Adolescents who consume alcohol in Green Bay are vulnerable to other dangers. Early exposure to alcohol consumption can create a convenient, yet destructive habit adolescents can grow to abuse as they get older. Intoxicated youth, like adults who consume alcohol, risk alcohol-related illnesses, injuries while intoxicated (falling down stairs, self-injury, injury to others, etc.), property damage, becoming the victim of a crime, and drunk driving.
Binge Drinking In Green Bay
26.5% of Green Bay’s adult population indulges in drinking and binge drinking, blurring the lines between moderate alcohol use and problem drinking. Studies on Green Bay’s binge drinking population, note that Green Bay men aged 18 to 34 are most likely to engage in binge drinking. Binge drinking (4 or more drinks within 2 hours for women, 5 or more for men) is considered the most dangerous form of drinking and is responsible for many alcohol-related deaths.
A drink is considered a 12-ounce glass of beer, a 5-ounce glass of wine, and a 1.5-ounce shot of distilled spirits. Oftentimes, binge drinking can transition to heavy drinking. Furthermore, individuals may begin to develop an alcohol tolerance with such high levels of drinking, needing more alcohol to “feel a buzz” and eventually turning to alcohol to solve emotional/mental problems. The ensuing tolerance and dependence can easily lead to full-blown alcoholism if left unchecked.
Break free from addiction.
You have options. Talk about them with a treatment provider today.
Get Help Now
Binge drinking and alcoholism occur for many complex reasons. Because addiction is a progressive disorder, effects and outcomes will only get worse as time goes on. Treatment should be sought sooner than later. If you, a loved one, or a friend struggles with substance abuse, there is hope. Contact a treatment provider today to discover your treatment options.
Krystina Murray has received a B.A. in English at Georgia State University, has over 5 years of professional writing and editing experience, and over 15 years of overall writing experience. She enjoys traveling, fitness, crafting, and spreading awareness of addiction recovery to help people transform their lives.
- More from Krystina Murray
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Puerto Rico
- US Pacific Islands
- US Virgin Islands
- Washington D.C.
- American Samoa
- Rodriguez, Nick. (2018). Green Bay Named Drunkest City in America. Retrieved on August 22, 2018 at https://www.12up.com/posts/6063273-green-bay-named-drunkest-city-in-america
- WBAY.com. (2018). Green Bay Tops As Drunkest City In America. Retrieved on August 22, 2018 at http://www.wbay.com/content/news/Green-Bay-tops-as-drunkest-cities-in-America-482768671.html
- Kaeding, Danielle. (2018). 1 in 4 Wisconsin Adults Binge Drinks At Least Once A Month. Retrieved on August 22, 2018 at https://www.wpr.org/1-4-wisconsin-adults-binge-drink-least-once-month
- Ford, Brittany. (2017). Green Bay Police Looks Up To Underage Drinking Patrols. Retrieved on August 22, 2018 at https://fox11online.com/news/local/green-bay/green-bay-police-to-increase-underage-drinking-patrols
- CBSNews.com. (2017). 20 Drunkest Cities in America. Retrieved on August 22, 2018 at https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/americas-20-drunkest-cities/19/
- Fox11News. (2021). September Declared 'Sober Green Bay' Month to Change 'Drunk City' Stigma. Retrieved on January 7, 2022 from: https://fox11online.com/news/local/september-declared-sober-green-bay-month-to-change-drunk-city-stigma